|HISTORY OF THE SCARSDALE WOMAN'S CLUB
The roots of the Scarsdale Woman's Club trace to the Suffrage Movement. In 1915, a group of public-spirited women began meeting to pursue their civic interests. Following extensive activities in support of their country at war, they formalized their continued community involvement when they incorporated on December 23, 1918.
One of the first ventures of the Club was the purchase for $1 of the bankrupt local paper, The Scarsdale Inquirer. The Scarsdale Woman's Club edited and published the paper for 40 years, increasing from 400 subscribers in November 1919 to over 5,000 at its sale in 1959.
Many other Scarsdale organizations were begun under Scarsdale Woman's Club auspices. Among them are the local League of Women Voters, Scarsdale/Edgemont Family Counseling Service, and the Scarsdale Auxiliary of White Plains Hospital.
Some of the other organizations the Club has been involved in forming are the Scarsdale Library, the Scarsdale Art Association and the Advisory Council on Parks and Recreation.
Today, the Scarsdale Woman's Club continues its tradition of education and philanthropy. Proud of its past heritage in the Village of Scarsdale and Westchester County, the Club looks forward to a future committed to its message of education, cultural enrichment and active philanthropic participation in the community.